10 kilos lighter: but is it enough?
Triumph Motorcycles has launched the brand new 2018 Tiger 1200 XC and XR line-up: a lighter, faster and meaner generation.
Triumph's Tiger 1200 range has been thoroughly updated and, while it keeps its legendary style, comes with many new characteristics that ensure it remains attractive for newer generations.
The new Tiger 1200 range is so advanced it has taken a full four years to develop, and today we're proud to launch a family of motorcycles that altogether boasts significant class-leading engine characteristics, rider-focused technological innovations and premium styling; all in the name of first-class riding enjoyment. These are by far the most adventure-ready Tigers ever built.
Paul Stroud, Chief Commercial Officer for Triumph Motorcycles
The 2017 Tiger 1200 – what's new
The new Tiger 1200 range receives a substantial weight reduction of up to 10kg compared to the previous gen. The engine, the chassis, and exhaust system were reworked to save weight, so Triumph now is confident its 1200 range has better responsiveness and handling, both on and off-road.
Both XR & XC models include Triumph's Adaptive Cornering Lighting system for better visibility when cornering, updated cruise control, new adjustable full-colour TFT display screen, all-new LED lighting, new ergonomically sculpted backlit switchgear and heated grip function, new Triumph Shift Assist for smooth clutchless changes up and down the gearbox, rider-friendly keyless ignition on higher spec models, and an all-new 'Off-Road Pro' riding mode on the XC models.
A significant new engine update gives the Tiger 1200 a more immediate power delivery lower down the rev range and, at least as Triumph says, an even better soundtrack. The new torque-laden 1200cc engine enables a smooth delivery through the torque-assist clutch, helping rider control on all surfaces. Complementing these updates are silencer developments offering the same thrilling Tiger Triple sound through an even lighter system.
Changes were also brought for better comfort. A new seat compound, revised handlebar positioning, and updated frame geometry enhance rider ergonomics for a more commanding riding position and ultra long-distance comfort. All improvements including the new off-road tyre specifications have been carefully chosen to improve rider enjoyment.
Triumf 1200 XC and XR main points
- New Adaptive Cornering Lighting
- New Adjustable full colour TFT Instruments
- New All-LED lighting
- New “Off Road Pro” riding mode, with a choice of up to six riding modes
- New Illuminated, ergonomically-designed backlit switchgear
- New Triumph Shift Assist for clutchless gear changes, both up and down the gearbox
- New Keyless ignition
- New Updated cruise control
Tiger 1200 models
The new XR line-up is tailor-made to deliver the ultimate on-road/off-road adventure; from the base model XR, to the mid-specification XRx and the highest specification XRT. An XRx Low Ride Height model is also available, making the Tiger 1200 even more accessible to every adventurer.
The new XC line-up has been specifically designed to respond to the most challenging of adventures thanks to a range of specialised off-road features offering even more rough terrain capability, from the XCx to the highest specification XCA.
- Triumph Shift Assist – Providing seamless clutchless up and down gearshifts, this system facilitates silky smooth gear changes and significantly reduces rider fatigue
- Adaptive Cornering Lighting – Advanced dynamic system providing enhanced night-time visibility, with increasing lighting intensity dependant on lean angle
- Arrow titanium and carbon fibre silencer – High specification, lightweight and stylish Arrow silencer, finished with a titanium wrap and carbon fibre end cap and strap
- All-LED lighting – Providing more enhanced visibility and style, Triumph's LED signature lighting creates clear views ahead and from behind
- 5-inch adjustable TFT instruments – Full colour and clear instrumentation providing precise rider information with an intuitive operation
- Backlit handlebar switch cubes and 5-way joystick control – New ergonomically-designed fully backlit handlebar switch cubes and joystick to make night-time use even easier
- “Off-Road Pro” riding mode – Delivering the most focused off-road set up ever, advanced riders can opt to turn off rider aid systems and be in total control with no traction control or ABS intervention
- Keyless ignition – Now even easier to live with daily, featuring a premium keyless ignition
- Updated cruise control – Accessed easily through the left hand switchcube, the new single button cruise control helps to reduce rider fatigue
The Tiger 1200 range also boasts over 50 optional accessories, allowing you to customise your bike to maximise your riding experience, whichever model you choose.