Price wins the special and moves to third position overall
This year's Dakar has no shortage of drama. The second rider in the overall standings Joan Barreda Bort was forced to trow the towel due to an injury. KTM rider Toby Price seems to get more and more motivated after getting lost in day ten special and closes up the gap between him and leading Matthias Walkner.
The 11th stage, Belen – Fiambala – Chilecito had a total distance of 485 km. Australian Toby Price achieved the best time in the special 4h 1m 33s. Price overtook his team-mate Antoine Meo and Kevin Benavides in the first part of the special. It’s the first special won by the Ozzie since the start of this years Dakar.
"Yesterday was… I've never felt so bad in my life. Today we just needed to try and see if we could claw back a little bit of time, and I think we've done that a little bit, but it's gonna be tough from back where we are. It's good to get a stage win. In the first week I was quite conservative, but now I attached some more, it's good to get a stage win because I hadn't done that this year so far. To be still in the race going towards the finish line is a pretty big achievement for me. My goal is just trying to stay on two wheels, not making a day like yesterday and seeing what that gives us at the finish line.”
Although there are around 39 minutes between KTM riders Matthias Walkner the Dakar still has two stages to be disputed and, a lot of things can happen.
"I spent most of the time with Stéphane Peterhansel today. I passed him on the dunes, but on the fast bits he passed me. Every day can change everything. I have to stay focused day after day. I don't think so much about victory. Of course, I'm a little bit nervous. Just missing one waypoint can cost you 20 minutes. Keeping going and doing my best is all I can do.”
Stage 11 results
1. TOBY PRICE – RED BULL KTM FACTORY TEAM – 04H 01' 33''
2. KEVIN BENAVIDES – MONSTER ENERGY HONDA TEAM – 04H 03' 11’' + 00H 01' 38''
3. ANTOINE MEO – RED BULL KTM FACTORY TEAM – 04H 08' 04’' + 00H 06' 31''
4. RICKY BRABEC – MONSTER ENERGY HONDA TEAM – 04H 09' 07’' + 00H 07' 34''
5. MATTHIAS WALKNER – RED BULL KTM TEAM – 04H 12' 34’' + 00H 11' 01’'
Overal results after stage 11
1. MATTHIAS WALKNER – RED BULL KTM FACTORY TEAM – 36H 33' 37''
2. KEVIN BENAVIDES – MONSTER ENERGY HONDA TEAM – 37H 05' 37’' + 00H 32' 00''
3. TOBY PRICE – RED BULL KTM FACTORY TEAM – 37H 12' 54’' + 00H 39' 17''
4. GERARD FARRES GUELL – HIMOINSA RACING TEAM. – 37H 22' 54’' + 00H 49' 17''
5. ANTOINE MEO – RED BULL KTM FACTORY TEAM – 37H 32' 42’' + 00H 59' 05''